Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Microsoft FrontPage Links Don't Work

Microsoft FrontPage is the most annoying piece of software that I own.  I have a strong like / hate relationship with this program.
I can tell that if everything was to work, and work the way I wanted it to then FrontPage would be a very useful program.  There are many features that would really like to have.
The problem is that any feature that saves me 5 minutes will end up costing me 2 hours later.
For example, one of the main reasons I like this program is that it has the ability to automatically keep track of your links in a links bar.
Then theoretically if you need to change something it will update your whole site, and it won't take much of your time, just go to the links bar and make a change.  Then FrontPage updates your whole site.
Now this sounds great to me, I would really like to have that feature.  But in reality, I have spent hours trying to learn how to configure all the different options for the link bars, and it never quite works right.
I think I may have it working, then I notice I should have 26 links on my site map page, when I publish to my server it come out with 14 links. 
After double checking I see that not only are 12 links missing but the links are out of order.  The program is showing me one set of links, and telling me this is what it is going to put on my web site.  Then when I am not looking it does something totally different. 
I think part of the problem might be that in order to get the main links to post I have to create a dummy list of links and add all the pages to this dummy list, the program is not smart enough to just add the links where you want them, you must go thought a process like this with everything in this program. 
First I have to add the link bar to each page, then I have to take each page and add it to the dummy list, this list does not show up any place but I have to create it to get links on each page.
I first thought that it was taking all the pages on the dummy list out of my site map, but only some of them are missing.  And the fact that the missing pages are not in any kind of order really has me confused.
After 2 more hours of trying to figure this out I decided to just give up again, and delete all my links bars and just add the HTML code for each link manually.  Then just pray that I don't need to change it in the near future.
Even if I do have to change some of the links, I can probably do it in less than 2 hours.
Wish I had just delete these dumb half working links bars a couple hours ago.
The link bars for the main site seem to be working ok, I only have 4 links on that link bar so maybe 26 links is just too many for FrontPage to handle.
Who knows.