Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Switched back to blogger

This is my first post since blogger dropped their FTP access, so I can no longer use my custom domain without using blogger for my hosting, and to use blogger for my hosting means that I will loose all my other files and pages.

So I am not sure I want to do this, although I am not sure why I think this would be a problem. Its not like the other pages are really worth anything anyway.

I should just start all over and forget everything else, but I am going to switch my blog over to blogger and then keep my other site separate.

Not that it really makes any difference.

I just noticed that posting with blogger now they have a new option called Enclosures right under the title. No idea what it does, but I added a link for this page so I will have to see if it shows up someplace. There is also a box that is labeled MIME - no idea what that box does either.

Not even sure what MIME stands for?

On a second look it actually says MIME Type - after googling MIME it looks like it is some type of format for email, but can be used for other things. and there are about 7 different types of email MIME. What ever that means.

Oh yeah, the reason I started posting this is because I am looking into setting up a shopping cart for someone who has a website and wants to start selling stuff, and I am thinking about using oscommerce. After doing a ton of searches on the internet, oscommerce looks to be the most popular open source shopping cart out there.

I did a few quick searches on Elance and it looks like the low bidders for Oscommerce will set it up for around $200 so I am thinking I can charge something around that amount. I am going to assume that is with very little customization work.

My idea is to charge a flat $200 to set it up then $25 for any customizations they want. That will kind of give them an idea of what it will take to get going and then protect me from underbidding a project that takes a ton of time for which I make no money.

I also need to figure out a way to make a back up of this site, I can probably never move it, so it probably doesn't matter if I have a backup or not, but I just always like to have a back up even if I know I will never use it.

Edit: well it looks like The Enclosures does nothing, at least nothing that I can see, a little more searching and it looks like Enclosures have to do with your RSS feed and maybe something to do with podcasting.

Labels: