Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Friday, September 16, 2005

Bypass Windows XP Log On Screen

One more thing about Windows XP that is bugging me today…

One of my computers starts up with a screen that you have to enter a password and login to get the computer to work.  I just decided I couldn’t take it any more and set out on a mission to get rid of this.

This is what I had to do to bypass The Windows XP Log On Screen

1. Checked the help files - Of course the help files in Microsoft Windows are mostly useless.

2. Searched around the control panel found user accounts, removed all the passwords from all 4 accounts I found in there. I didn’t think this would work but I gave it a try anyway.

3. Searched Google for “To make logon an unattended process”
Came up with this:

Click [Start] [Run] and type
control userpasswords2
Click [OK]
The [User Accounts] Property Sheet displays.
On [Users] tab, clear the [Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer] check box.
Click [Apply].
Enter a user name and password that should be used to logon automatically in the dialog box that appears.
Click [OK].
Go to [Control Panel] [User Accounts] [Change the Way Users Log On and Off].
Uncheck [Use the Welcome Screen] and [Use Fast User Switching]

For some reason this didn’t work, I ended up with an error that said

Unable to long you on because of an account restriction

But at least it was trying to log me on, so I thought this was progress.

I figured out that part of the problem is that I have two Administrator accounts, one called Administrator and one called Owner.

I delete the passwords in all the accounts once again, and then I delete the Administrator account.

Now my Auto Login works for Windows XP.  I didn’t know if I would ever get here.