Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Drupal CMS - My Experience

Drupal is supposed to have a spelling checker but the installation does not come with one.

I searched around the forum on their website and found a couple references to a spell check module.

Next I looked under downloads there does not seem to be a spell check module, or a spell check anything.

I noticed a few posts refer to "Htmlarea", not sure what that is... may have something to do with the spell checking program/module.

There is a tab under downloads called "cvs" just found out it means Concurrent Versions System, this tab has something about a spelling checking module in it.

Under "downloads -> CVS" it says the spell check program is no longer maintained (whatever that means.)

I down load the file anyway, there does not seem to be anything at all about what to do with the file after you download it.

I can tell by the messages there is no way this thing is just going to start working on it's own, from all the complaints in the Drupal forum there will probably be lines of code to be manually replaced at different places to get it to work.

I just ran across this in the forum, this sums up what everyone is asking:

  • I have been unable to find any information on arranging content on a page, this is one of the most basic concepts in site creation, am I missing something?
there seem to be two answers to this question:

  1. no respose from anyone.

  2. some geekeeze that usually starts out with "first you appachie 153 lines of code to your hyperdrive this will only help you if your taxanomie module is bla bla bla..."

Then he goes on to explain how each section of code is related to the whole and how you can reprogram everything around your problem to make it go away in 571 easy steps and he gives you the first and third step just to get you started.

I am trying to find an easy solution to a problem, I don't need to reprogram something to get it to work around the many different problems, it is suppose to solve my problem not give me a whole list of new ones.

Anyway, I found some more stuff about "htmlarea" which may be another module with some type of spell check program in it. (still not sure though).

Decided to just get the download from CVS directory and put it in the main directory on my server and open it up to see what happens.

There were some directions with the download but they tell me to:

Copy the entire spell check folder into your Drupal modules/ directory

I think this means copy the files and not copy the folder, so I copied the files

then it says:

Enable the module via Site Configuration -> Modules.

I have never seen a "site configuration" anything

I go to "administrator -> modules"  and I find a spell check entry and I put a check the box and save it.

Now when I click on spell check button under create content, nothing happens.

I close all my windows and shut down my computer, incase that makes a difference I also wait about an hour then try again.

This time a window pops up when I click the spell check button. but the window has the main page in it, not much help when your trying to check your spelling.

Summary – I like the way Drupal looks, and once you get it going I think it works good too. But there is a little too much hands on stuff to get it up and running for me.