Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Sunday, November 13, 2005

File Transfer :: Beyond Remote Working - WOW

Still working on transferring files between two computers.

Decided to go back and try Beyond Remote again.  

I looked up a working port on a internet site, it looks like my port 1030 will not work for some reason, maybe the firewall is shutting it down.

Port 5424 looks like it is working and so I change the port to 5424.

Then I remembered that I did not turn my firewall off, after I turned zone alarm off on my main computer and set it up as the server the other computer could make a connection and it asked me for the password.

That’s when I remember that I installed this software several months ago and obviously I put in some unique password that I have no way of remembering now.

I should just uninstall the software and then install it again, I know that would be a lot faster… But I just keep trying one more password at a time.

I looked though my password book but this password didn’t make it into the book.

After a lot of tries I was able to guess the password and I got it working.

It will transfer one directory at a time, it will not transfer two directories.

So it looks like I have to do 50 or 80 transfers I am not sure how many directories there are.  

On the up side it does transfer fairly fast about 1 or 2 minutes where the ftp program was taking 10 or 20 minutes one way.

I don’t really like sending each directory separately but it’s the best solution I have at the moment.  The real problem is just keeping track of which ones I have sent and which ones are left.

The old notebook method is what I come up with, I write each directory down when I send it that way I can keep track of where I am in the process.

Every time it finishes sending it makes a little tone, so I can work on something else for 2 minutes then click on the next folder.

It’s hard for me to believe this is the only way, out of the dozens of methods I have tried, that works at all – that’s really sad.