Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Sunday, November 13, 2005

File Transfer WSftp Does Not Work

My wife has filled up her hard drive with digital pictures.  So now I need to back them up and get them off of her computer so she can use it again.  

In case you don’t know when windows runs out of disk space it starts giving you errors, usually out of memory errors at first then they get more serious.

The problem is the CD burner is on another computer and I have to transfer the files to this computer first.  This should be an easy thing to do, but for some reason it has grown into this major problem.

There are a couple thousand pictures and they are in about 50 different folders.

I have tried a couple dozen different methods of transferring these files and nothing has worked so far.  I have run into this problem a couple of times (it happens about every 3 or 4 months), each time I have worked and worked and come up with a solution for that time however it does not work the next time.

Now I am finding myself making the same mistakes over again because I forgot that I already attempted that method and it didn’t work.

I just tried to use WSftp to transfer the files to my hosting account.  I found that this program can transfer about 10 files then it crashes.  It seems to have trouble with transferring a whole directory and with doing more than about 10 files at a time.

Some folders have 50 files so this would take 5 transfers up and 5 down, each seems to take about 10 minutes.  So this solution will not work for me.