Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Xsitepro CMS software

When I decided that I was going to publish some web pages I learned how to program HTML and I thought I would just write the sites myself.

It didn’t take long for me to learn that if your going to make a site with 1 page up to even 5 or 10 pages then it’s not that big of a deal and doing it your self with HTML is not a bad option.

Once you get over 10 or 20 pages then you start running into a new set of problems.

If you want a site map then all these pages must be entered into the site map – this starts taking more and more time.

If you’re going to update your site then each new page makes more and more work.

I have recently started adding series of pages that I want the navigation to link to, this presents a unique set of problems since I usually do not know when I start how many pages there will be.

What I found out was that I would just stop working on the site once it hit a certain size because it was just more than I wanted to do to keep it updated.

The site navigation starts to be more and more of a problem, until you’re spending more time working on the links than you are working on the content of the page.

That is when I started looking at Content Management Systems (CMS) and for my situation only one really works and does most of the things I want it to do.

That is Bolgger.com with the Microsoft Word add-on.  This combination handles all the linking and site maintenance, all I do is write the content and then click on publish.

I just ran across another site called xsitepro.com I am not sure if it will work for me or not, but it looks like it has some advantages.  

When I first looked at their site one of the big problems I have is the cheese sales pitch, and no examples of how their site works.

I recently found someone who is using their software - cookie-crazy.com

It looks like xsitepro has some nice features:

  • The site map it generates

  • Meta tags for content on each page

  • Meta tags for description for each page

  • Ability to update all pages at once
On the down site:

  • No RSS feed

  • Spell checking is probably weak
So is a nice site map and Meta tags worth giving up my spell checking and RSS feed?

I don’t know, right now I am thinking probably the spell checking is not worth giving up at the moment.

But I have not tried xsitepro so I can’t really say, but it looks to be at the top of my list for CMS software to try next.