Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Monday, September 19, 2005

Looking For a New RSS Feed

I started using RSS with Yahoo’s homepage, I only signed up for Yahoo to try and add some traffic to my website.  The traffic turned out to be a bust, but I really liked using Yahoo’s homepage for a RSS reader.

I have several mailing lists that I have signed up for and RSS is 1000 times better than getting on a mailing list.  Just about every site that wants you on their mailing list also has a RSS feed you can sign up for.

The best thing about RSS is that you can see everything at once.  I can look at the last 5 posts on 30 different sites on one page.  This is so much better than picking through the junk emails trying to figure out which ones I want to read.

The problem is lately Yahoo’s feed has been messing up bad, it will not update sites and now I can’t add new sites.  

I looked at bloglines, it is not bad but everything is stored in folders and I have to click several times to see anything.  With Yahoo just go to the page and everything is right there no hassle.

After fighting with MSN’s homepage for way too many hours I came to the conclusion that MSN does not want you to use their homepage, I guess they put it up for their personal use.  So they have made it so that over half of everything you do does not work.  

You can’t add new sites to MSN homepage, but the site must be in their microscopic database so maybe it has the handful of sites they like but not much I was interested in.  It just does not work, so don’t waste your time like I did trying to make it work.

Google has a home page at http://www.google.com/ig if you don’t mind setting up an account and logging in all the time.  I am sorry but I just don’t have time to log in every time I visit a website.  HEY Google, learn how to use a cookie.  Or ONLY force me to log in when I want to make a change, we are not talking about classified government secrets here – it’s a freakin RSS feed.