Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Backing up your site

I am thinking about setting up a new site, and I go through this process each time I do this.

I am a little concerned about having all my sites with Blogger, even though I love Blogger and Blogger has been very good to me I still have this feeling that if something were to go wrong with Blogger it would be nice to have half of your site using something else.

So I start my search once again, and here is the loop I go through.

I want something that is easy, but I need to have backups.  

I look at Drupal and a couple others that have most of the features I want.

Then I look at backing up these sites, I start getting into mysql databases and recovering 5meg files from your backups that you did on a regular basis.

I am not that good with backups, and if I have to log onto my hosting account and use some mysql system program I can tell you right now, I will never do it.

The problem is I have lost several sites before from not having backups.  It’s a real drag.

Blogger keeps all your information on their site, to change servers you just point your DNS to the new location then go to Blogger and click republish.

I can do that.

So Blogger basically keeps a backup of your entire site for you.  How cool is that.  If I could find a CMS system that had a one click backup I would consider that, but as long as all they have are the processes that are drawn out and include a lot of stuff like:

“After you have backed up your mysql database you also need to back up your reconfigured preference files on your server, and remember this will not include any changes you have made or settings that are not original these will all need to be reentered when you do a restore”.

Great sounds like days worth of work redoing what you have done before, I don’t need that. So it looks like I will be sticking with Blogger until someone comes up with a backup system that looks like something I can use.