Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Connection Was Refused When Attempting To Contact ebay

Ebay.com and PayPal.com are not working on my computer, I have not been able to connect to their sites for several months.  

I don’t know what the problem is I was thinking it might be some kind of a virus.  Now that I think about it there were some other sites I was having problems with also.

With Explorer I just get a time out message like the site is down.

Today I installed Firefox, it was fast and easy to install.  

When I try to connect to ebay or PayPal I get an Alert in Firefox that says:

  • The connection was refused when attempting to contact ebay.com

  • The connection was refused when attempting to contact paypal.com
So I search around on Google and noticed a few people talking about this file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ect\hosts

The file name is [hosts] with no extension.  I looked at the file with notepad and it is all comments except for the last line has localhost and a few numbers.

I rename this file to host.bad and now my ebay and PayPal work just fine with both Explorer and Firefox.

Just to see what would happen I changed the name back to [hosts] (removed the .bad extension I put on it) and sure enough both sites are not working again.

Rename the file and both sites work again, so that is definitely the problem.

Update:

I just figured out that I could not run the virus program from pandasoftware.com until I renamed the host file, now when I run their virus program scanner it shows that file as a virus program.