Website | Windows Tips | SEO

Friday, September 23, 2005

Setting Up Blogger.com

Setting up a new blog with Blogger is amazingly fast.

I just set up a new blog and it took me 45 seconds before I was typing on my first post.

(That only works if you already have an account set up with blogger)

Here is where you start www.blogger.com/home

Click [Create a Blog] button

Click [Advanced Blog Setup] because you want to host it on your own server.

Type in Blog Title

Type in FTP server

Type in FTP path – if you have multiple blogs or want your blog in a sub directory

Type in Blog File name – usually index.html so it will automatically be picked up

Type in Blog URL

Type in your Word Verification letters

Click [continue]

Select a template

Start Blogging.

I have done this process before but it actually only took me 45 seconds to type this stuff in, and I wasn’t really trying I am sure it can be done in under 15 seconds if someone put a little effort into it.

My point is that Blogger is amazingly fast, and amazingly simple.

Notice there are not MySQL databases to setup and configure, then fight with later.

I did notice something that makes a difference how you set up your blog:

  • Your going to have the blog be your website

  • You have a web site and your adding a blog to it

  • You are adding multiple blogs to the same site

If someone types in your URL then it will take to the file index.html so if you want people to go directly to your blog you should name the file where your blog is stored – index.html.

If you have a site and want to add a blog to it then name it something like blogger.html then put a link from your main site to this file.

If you have multiple blogs on the same site then put them in subdirectories like poker.max5.com and real-estate.max5.com.

This will prevent any problems with your posts having duplicate file names.